Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Weeknight Beef Stew (CCTC p. 46)

Tonight I made "Weeknight Beef Stew" out of America's Test Kitchen's "The Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook" (p. 46).

The Process: Took about 1h40m, including prep time. I can probably get this down to about 1h10m as I get more familiar with the recipe and don't have any distractions. This was a very enjoyable and satisfying process though.

The Verdict: 8.5 out of 10. Totally delicious flavor, but the meat wasn't quite as tender as I would have liked, and the potato could have used 5 more minutes of simmering. Next time, I'll hope to find the proper steak as called for in the recipe, and see whether that bumps the rating up to a 9.5.

The Cost: $6.28 (steak $4 + onion $.30 + carrot $.33 + garlic $.15 + tomato paste $.20 + wine $.50 + broth $.30 + potato $.30 + peas $.20, plus negligible amounts of salt, pepper, thyme, flour, soy sauce, oil)

Preparing the beef broth ahead of time.


I used grapeseed oil to brown the meat, and I think it worked well.

I actually did a bit of prep work this time -- here are the chopped onion,
sliced carrot and minced garlic.


I had trouble finding the "sirloin steak tips" called for in the recipe, so
I went with this top sirloin steak which happened to be on sale. I look
forward to making this recipe again with the proper meat.


I weighed out the appropriate quantity of steak and prepared to cut it up.

The steak, all cut up and ready to be browned.

Browning the steak in two batches.


The first half of the steak, all browned and about to be set aside.

Setting aside the first half of the steak after browning.


Browning the second half of the steak.

I've just added the onion & carrot to the fat left in the saucepan.

I cooked the onion & carrot until softened, then added the
garlic, tomato paste, thyme and flour. 


Here I've added the wine, beef broth and potato.

After simmering for about 20 minutes, I added the frozen peas.


Here I've added the browned beef back to the stew, along with some soy sauce,
mixed it all together and let the beef come back up to temperature.


The finished product!

The finished product!

2 comments:

  1. I just purchased this cookbook and I'm super excited to try it out. I stumbled upon your page when I was looking at reviews and it is awesome! I hope you plan to post more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's a great book! I definitely need to add more to this blog -- thanks for the encouragement. Cheers!

      Delete