Thursday, September 24, 2015

Fudgy Brownies (CCTC p. 388)

Tonight I made "Fudgy Brownies" out of America's Test Kitchen's "The Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook" (p. 388).

The Process: Took about 30m to prep and 30m to bake. It was a pretty straightforward and fun recipe to make.

The Verdict: 8 out of 10. Really, really good brownies, but not amazing. The brownies required quite a bit more time in the oven than stated in the recipe. The recipe says to bake them for 24 to 28 minutes. I baked them for at least 34 minutes, and they still weren't cooked enough.

The Cost: $TBD

The recipe calls for an 8.5" x 4.5" loaf pan. My adjustable loaf
pan is exactly 4.5" wide, and I simply adjusted it to 8.5" long.

The recipe calls for semi-sweet chocolate, so I was glad I had
this in my cabinet.

A little scale action, to ensure I'm chopping up just the right
amount of chocolate.

I've just chopped the chocolate and ready to melt it together
with the butter.

Adding the cocoa powder to the chocolate and butter.

The butter, chocolate & cocoa powder is ready for the microwave.

Making a "foil sling", as directed in the recipe.

The recipe calls for one egg plus one yolk, so I was excited to
finally use my egg separator for the first time!

Adding vanilla extract to the sugar and eggs.

About to whisk the sugar, salt, egg & vanilla extract together.

Action shot: whisking the sugar, salt, egg & vanilla extract together.

Pouring the melted chocolate mixture into the sugar & egg batter. 

Mixing together all the ingredients except flour.

Adding flour to the final mixture.

Stirring flour into the batter.

Pouring the brownie batter into the prepared foil sling.

Ready to go into the oven!

Just out of the oven!

Cooling on the cooling rack.

Slicing into 8 brownie squares.

This recipe yields 8 brownie squares.

This recipe yields 8 brownie squares.

The finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment