Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Salmon with Asparagus and Herb Dressing (CCTC p. 178)

On Tuesday, April 12, I made "Salmon with Asparagus and Herb Dressing" from America's Test Kitchen's "The Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook" (p. 178).

The Process: This recipe was very quick. I over-seared the salmon a bit, and the smoke throughout my house was a bit extreme. Perhaps this was partly due to the fact that I only made one salmon filet, but I believe it's mostly due to too much oil and too high a cooking temperature. Next time I make this I should start the frying pan on medium, then reduce to medium-low when cooking the other side of the filet, and also check the salmon earlier in the process. I will try using a different skillet as well. I also was not a fan of making asparagus this way. I understand they caution against using asparagus that is too thin, as it will over-cook. But even if I cook thicker asparagus for a shorter period of time, I still don't think I'll like it prepared this way as much as just basic steamed or grilled asparagus. So I will make that change next time as well.

The Verdict: 8 out of 10. I need to make it again and improve upon it.

The Cost: approx $8 for 1 serving.

6-ounce skin-on salmon filet

Patting the salmon dry with a paper towel

Seasoning the filet with salt & pepper

Searing the underside of the filet in a little olive oil over medium-high heat

Trimming the asparagus

Preparing the dressing while the filet cooks, starting with some olive oil...

Squeezing fresh lemon juice for the dressing

I seared the salmon for a minute less than instructed, but it was still a bit over-seared.

After setting aside the cooked salmon, I added butter and a little olive oil to the hot pan

Adding the trimmed asparagus to the pan

Washing and drying the fresh basil

Mincing the fresh basil

Mincing half a shallot

Mixing together the dressing

Close-up of the salmon -- although I obviously over-seared both sides, the flavor was delicious

The finished dish, complete with a side of mashed potatoes

Cross-section of the salmon

No comments:

Post a Comment